Friday, February 1, 2013

My Month in Review: January 2013

It's a new year, so I am adding a new summary-type post at the end of every month to propel me into the next month.  So here is

My Month in Review

This will be where I list the books I have read this month, movies I have seen, notable acquisitions, and anything else that I find worthy of telling you.  =)

January Books Read: 

Kill You Twice by Chelsea Cain--5 stars

 
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (Review here)--3.5 stars
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Blume (Review here)--3 stars
Frostbite by Richelle Mead--4 stars
Super Fudge by Judy Blume (Review here)--4 stars
Fudge-a-Mania by Judy Blume(Review here)--4 stars
Double Fudge by Judy Blume(Review here)--3 stars
Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead--4 stars
Blood Promise by Richelle Mead--3 stars
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (Review here)--4 stars
The Walking Dead Volume 17 by Robert Kirkman--2 stars
Zom-B Underground by Darren Shan--3 stars
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell--3 stars
Just One Day by Gayle Forman--4 stars
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (audiobook)--4 stars
The Tell-Tale Start by Gordon McAlpine--3 stars

January Stats:
Total Books:  16
Total Pages:  4962 pages
Total Minutes:  2010 minutes (33.5 hours)

Favorite Book(s) Read This Month: Kill You Twice, Just One Day, Frostbite
Favorite Audio Book(s) Listened to This Month:  A Game of Thrones

Other Reviews Posted in January

I have been behind on reviews, which is why you haven't seen a lot of these books reviewed on my blog yet.  I am hoping to catch up in this next month!  But here are the books I did get to review this month (along with those listed above)!

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whatley--5 stars
The Shining by Stephen King--4.5 stars
Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume--4 stars
We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han--3 stars
Ten by Gretchen McNeil--2 stars
The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski--DNF
Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter--4.5 stars

Challenge Update:
New Authors Challenge:  3 out of 30
Audio Book Challenge:  1 out of 25
Stand Alone Reading Challenge:  0 out of 15
TBR Pile Challenge:  0 out of 12


My January Movie Adventures: (With One Sentence Reviews!)

This year my co-workers have challenged me to watch more movies.  So I have taken up a personal challenge (located under my 2013 Challenges tab) to watch some.  So here are the ones I got to this month.
 


The Hobbit:  Peter Jackson takes the way whimsical classic children's tale and brings it up to the visual greatness of The Trilogy.
Perks of Being a Wallflower:  I was afraid of this movie, but I am happy to report that the essence of this novel is preserved, bringing this beautiful book to life.
Moonrise Kingdom:  A quirky adventurey romance, of sorts, that I found to be very entertaining.
Les Miserables:  I will say it--I was very impressed with the vocal and acting performances of each and every actor.  Such an emotional ride and a great movie adaptation of the stage play!
Silver Linings Playbook:  I only speak the truth.  This movie is pure brilliance, from storyline to acting.  It deserves every nomination it got!
Snow White and the Huntsman:  There were too many genre elements thrown in to this movie--I found it a little disjointed.  Though I liked Chris Hemsworth.
WALL-E:  (Yes, I just got around to watching this) A cute futuristic love story with a rather obvious hidden message against consumerism and laziness.  But I really liked Eve. =)
All four Die Hard Movies:  Here is my order of likeness:  1, 3, 4, 2.  The two movies done by John McTieren were SO much better than the other two. 

Book Acquisitions of Note



ARC of Unremembered by Jessica Brody (received from MacMillian Kids Books)
ARC of A Tangle of Knots Lisa Graff (received from Penguin Kids)
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Box Set of Pretty Little Liars #1-4 by Sara Shepard

And a special acquisition this month.  This is a book from my childhood (my grandmother had a copy that somehow got lost over the years) that I found and just HAD TO HAVE.  It is so beautiful!


What's On My February TBR?

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin (audiobook)
World War Z by Max Brooks
Dualed by Elise Chapman
Vortex by Julie Cross
Cinder(re-read) and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Under the Never Sky (re-read) and Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi
The Tell-Tale Start by Gordon McAlpine
Jinx by Sage Blackwood
Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Legned and Prodigy by Marie Lu
and Various Works by Jerry Spinelli, my February Juvenile Author of the Month

Well, that is all for My January in Review!  What was your favorite book you read in January?  Favorite movie you saw?  What are you most looking forward to reading next month!  Comment and let me know! =)

Love and Banana Boat,
Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. You are going to have a great February with all of those amazing books on your list!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and comments! I appreciate it so very much! And I appreciate the thought, but my blog is award free! Thanks guys!